Thursday, April 15, 2010

back for a quick, important update

hey guys
sorry i had to depart so suddenly
things arnt great with my life atm, my mum is very ill. ive barely had time to log online.
ive already lost my father recently and i couldnt bear to lose her now
i need to focus attention elsewhere and have a lot of other stuff happening too.
but i had to do a post, because with everything thats going on (other things too) i made a very rash decision that i had to write about.
i caught up with one of my brothers today (i have 3) who i dont see to often, mostly due to geographical reasons (australia is a big country!)
we went out for a few drinks and got fairly drunk. he was going on and on about trying to meet a girl, and something inside me just snapped. i just blurted out to him that i was gay.
the reaction was mixed. the first thing he said was , he kinda suspected, and he loves me regardless. he said he will support me 100%. what he didnt understand however, was that me being gay was not a choice. he kept asking why i chose that life for myself, and i kept trying to explain with not much success that i did not choose it, nor would i ever.
we left things on drunken terms.
i hope to hear from him tomorrow for a sober reaction. he promised not to tell anyone else in the family
its the biggest step ive ever taken coming out
im not quite sure how i feel. im glad i wasnt rejected, which is how i thought i would be treated for so many years.
im glad he promised to support me no matter what, but im a little upset that he didnt understand that me being gay wasnt a choice.
he also recommended i keep it quiet from other family members for the moment, because he wasnt sure if some others would take it so well
to be honest im sitting here in complete shock that i actually came out to a family member
i dont know what to feel or think right now, but there is a little part of me that feels a slight weight has been lifted. in the words of neil armstrong, one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

ill try to do a follow up post soon, thanks for understanding about my recent absence,

6 comments:

  1. First of all - sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she gets well soon.

    Second - wow. Coming out to your brother. That's a huge step. I'm glad he's supportive. Too bad he feels it's a choice. But the thing is - a lot of straight people never give it a thought. Especially if they don't have a friend or loved one who is gay. He'll probably do some research on it now - an soon will see things differently.

    Thanks for taking the time to update us!

    Take care -
    -nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you did what you had to and things come before blogging so I'm not going to upset about the abrupt ending.

    I wish the best for you and your family and hope that your mom gets better.

    Yeah some are like that who support you but don't understand that being gay isn't a choice.
    I'm glad he took it well and hope things don't change between the two of you (for the worse that is)
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope that she has a quick and full recovery.

    I'm glad that you're back. I thought that we had lost you forever.

    I was glad to hear that you came out to your brother. Family often suspects, even if they don't say anything. It may take your brother a while to accept that being gay isn't a choice. You could turn it around and ask him when he chose to be straight, and if he chose that, he could change his mind and choose to be gay. Not! But maybe it will get him thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother also had a very similar reaction when I told him I was gay - I think in some cases he still thinks it was a choice and always seems to have a disappointed look on his face when a girl hits on me and I turn her down.

    I believe it's best to do what you think is right - not having to worry about the opinions of others.

    My thoughts are with you and your mom.

    http://straight-upgay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys, all these comments mean a lot and r really helpful. i promise never to be lost completely from blogworld, but i definitly needed the break to focus on the other things. hey g&p - i actually used that exact analogy! he kinda understood i think. when i see him next, hopefully life newleaf said, he has done some research (im sure he prolly did a lot of googling today, i know i would have!) and has some more understanding of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just hate it when other people think it's a choice... Gee whiz, I always feel like saying back to them, "Well then that means YOU could choose to be gay, right?" And of course they would say no because they know themselves what attracts them and what turns them on. It's not a choice... Other than that, glad to have you back John!

    ReplyDelete