Wednesday, February 10, 2010

my parents divorce part 2

so me and mum moved into our new place. the first few nights mum cried a lot and didnt want to sleep alone and asked me to sleep in her bed. i did, even tho i was angry, until she felt well enough to sleep alone. we still hadnt discussed her affair. but as soon as we had our first fight after moving, it all came out . i told her i knew everything and how much i hated her for it. she then told me that i obviously didnt know the whole story, apparently before all this happened, dad had an affair as well, with my brothers school teacher. oh great, so both my parents were cheaters. i knew she wasnt making it up, and dad admitted as much ,when i broguht it up with him later. so now i was angry at everyone, and to make things worse puberty had begun so by this time i was about 12 and very unhappy. i was getting very sexually curious, and obviously this involved homosexual thoughts, so this didnt help my state of mind. i fought with mum constantly, i abused her about her affair everytime we fought. i busted her still sleepin with the guy she had an affair with too, he would ring the house then hang up when i answeered. then my mum would take the phone to her room and call him back. this would make me so angry, i wasnt stupid and knew exaclty what was going on. i wouldve rather he would just say who was callin and could he speak to mum. altogether i think we lived like this for 18 months. then my dad decided to retire and move away. by this stage my 2 brothers that had stayed with dad had moved out. the next oldest brother was 15, and he was even angrier at mum than me, he moved in with another family to get away from it. me and mum moved back into the family home when dad left. it was just the 2 of us after this. we slowly started getting along better after this , but it took a long time for my anger and all my brothers anger to subside.
in the end, i have to say everything worked out. after dad left and i only saw him during holidays, our relationship got better than ever and we became like best buds by my mid to late teens. me and mum had our moments, but i guess i eventually forgave her . im pretty sure she stopped the affair eventually, but not sure exactly when. it was obviously never more than a sexual affair, as he is still married to his wife to this day.
so basically it was a prety fucked up series of events and if i could go back i would wish a lot of things to be different. but everyone learns from things like this in life, and i think if i hadnt gone thru all that i wouldnt be the person i was today. i learnt to be completely self sufficient from a very young age. mum and dad eventually stayed good friends until the day dad died, despite everything that had happened. we even still had xmas together most years. so it wasnt all bad. i guess in hindsight it was just so much for a young boy to deal with, especially a little boy who had so much on his mind already.
ive never discussed this in detail with anyone, except my bf. it was such a relief when i told him all about it a few years ago. and it does feel good to get it all out now, as there is also a lot more to the story but i think i suppressed a lot of it.
i know a few guys who read this and also may have commented are going through some sticky situations at the moment with marriages to women. please dont let my story persuade your thoughts at all. its different for everyone, and u gotta do what u feel is right. and it really did all work out for me in the end. knowing what i know, im glad my parents got to be happy , which they wouldnt have been if they stayed together.

3 comments:

  1. It's good that you got through that difficult time, and that your family were able to work out their difficulties. But what a difficult situation for a kid, to have to choose between parents. Stories like this make me more determined to protect my son from situations like this.

    Thanks for sharing what are obviously difficult memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things worked out for everyone at least and yeah that is a lot for a young kid to go through but good to know you are stronger for it too

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks john! i promise ill read ure blog. theres alot haha. i read a lil and its interesting and i would read more if it wasnt so late. aussie aussie oy oy oy! hahaha thats what they always say on the aussie open on tv. talk to u later.

    ReplyDelete