Monday, January 11, 2010

coming out drunk

so im gunna jump from the past to the present for a sec, cause i had a pretty major weekend. i came out to my friend tina, who was my best friend from the age of 15-20. i cant believe it took me that long to tell her, but its kinda complicated.
tina and i met at high school, we pretty much were inseperable for years. especially when we both turned 18, she was my major party friend. but then we had a huge, nasty fight about 8 years ago. she was dating this total fuckwit who clearly was jealous of our friendship and basically she chose him over me. she was totally immature about the whole thing, and left me in a awkward situation one night, totally stranded with nowhere to sleep after i was meant to stay at her house one night but her bf told her i wasnt allowed (after i got there!). we tentatively made up a couple of years later when they broke up, but it was never quite the same, i was still pretty angry i guess. i saw her maybe twice between 2002 and 2008. once for her wedding, she met a new guy who is really nice and got married in about 2006. we promised to talk more, but i didnt speak to her again for at least a year. then my dad died, and because she knew him quite well, i told her about it and she came to the funeral, and she ended staying with me til i drunk myself into submission. after that we have slowly been becoming good friends again, though mostly over distance with the occasional visit, as she lives a couple of hours away.
so on the weekend i went to a party she was having and we got a bit drunk, and i finally told her i was gay. i just blurted it out towards the end of the night. it is so much easier to tell ppl when ur drunk, nearly everytime ive told an old close friend ive had to get drunk to get the courage to do it. i was pretty sure she knew anyway, because she had asked a mutual friend (who knows about me) a couple of years back, and my friend didnt deny it but didnt tell her either, just said she should ask me. the last few times i have visited, i was actually hoping she would ask so that i wouldnt have to be the one to bring it up, but she never did. so after about 10 beers on saturday, i finally told her. she admitted she knew. she was totally cool with it, she said she never suspected at all growing up, but had worked it out a couple of years ago when i had still had the same "flatmate" for 4 years, and no girlfriends. we spoke openly about our big fight a few years back, and agreed it was all in the past. she has definitly grown up a lot since then. it was big step for me because she should have been the first person i shouldve told years before, but i was always way too scared. i thought she would have hated me and rejected me. looking back, i was so stupid, i could have told her when i was a teenage, and i could have had someone close to me to talk about it with. instead i kept it to myself and it ate me up. hindsight is a great thing

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Maybe the two of you will be closer friends now.

    Coming out is never any fun - you never know how the other person is going to react. I'm glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closet alters our perceptions of everything. We don't know who to trust with our secret. Most, but sadly not all, people that are close to us handle it after the initial shock. Women tend to handle it better than men, at least when a guy comes out.

    It is good that you and Tina have gotten over the fight and can pick up the friendship again.

    ReplyDelete