Sunday, January 24, 2010

a huge coming out moment

shortly after i met my bf, i resolved to myself to tell my best female friend from school that i was gay. i was still yet to really tell anyone significant from my old life, so it was going to be a really important milestone for me. as my next visit home was going to be christmas 2003, so i decided that was when i would do it. i met this girl when i was about 16, and we have always gotten along great. when we first started being friends, a mutual friend of ours tried to get us together, but i dont think either of us ever felt that way about each other. she got a serious bf when she was about 18 . and they r still together 10 years later, coincedentally i had known her bf since i was young, and her getting with him didnt change our friendship at all. we hung out a lot especially in our late teens, and we did lots of random stuff together, one time when we were 19 we even went on spur of the moment a 2 week road trip just the 2 of us, and had the time of our lives. her bf was never jealous of me, even tho he didnt know i was gay, which i thought was kinda weird, but i always just guessed he trusted us both.
so one saturday evening, late november 2003, i was out partying with some friends, and got a little drunk. i sent her a text message saying something like "i have to tell u something this xmas. a secret .make sure i tell u" . of course i wasnt thinking clearly when i sent this,because this was always going to get the reaction of "tell me what it is now!!!"
a few texts back and forth, i kept saying not to worry ill tell her when i see her at xmas, but she would not give up, and eventually called me. i think it was after midnight by this time, and i left the club i was at to go outside to talk to her on the phone. im not sure how long we spoke for, but it was a while. i started balling my eyes out. i kept insisting that its not something i want to say over the phone, but she simply wouldnt give up. she said she was pretty sure she knew what it was, and asked if she could try and guess what it was, and if she guessed i would have to acknowledge it. I of course thought that she must know the truth, and was about to guess the right thing. geez was i wrong. she said "is ur secret that u like me as more than a friend" for fucks sake the poor girl, she really had no idea. she at least stopped me crying for a sec, because i laughed at her instead, i said if that was the problem then my real problem wouldnt exist. she still didnt click on. after she said this, i felt so guilty that i said i would just tell her the truth now. but somehow the words just wouldnt come out of my mouth. she must have waited for me to tell her for several minutes, in between bursts of tears. i finaly just bit the bullet , and said those 2 words. "im gay" she was silent for about 10 seconds and said in a very shocked voice"your gay? thats ok!". i was so relieved, i felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. we spoke a few mins more, until i finally calmed down and stopped balling, and agreed we would talk about it more at xmas, as we got together every xmas eve for drinks.
so xmas eve we caught up, and we had a really good talk about everything. she said she had never once suspected at all i was gay, and she was completely guilt ridden when i had told her how miserable i had been for so many years. it wasnt her fault of course, i had become such an expert of hiding my feelings about it over the years that i didnt blame her for not noticing anything amiss. she told her bf about me as well, and he was totally cool with it too.
we are still best friends all these years later. not that i had any doubts, cause i trust her completely, but she has faithfully kept my secret all these years from anyone that i didnt want knowing , including my mum who she knows quite well!
so this was probably my most significant coming out moment to date, because it was the first time i had told someone who i had been so close too for many years. i guess if/when i finally tell my family, that will be bigger.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say I'm glad she took it so well and when you do tell your family I hope it wont be too hard on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ethan. I guess one advantage for me is that everyone I've told has had a similar reaction to my best friend from high school who I told when I was 18 - "I know." Guess I didn't hide it as well as you did.

    ReplyDelete