Thursday, January 14, 2010

Poor Internet choices

I remember January 2003 very well. now everyone i know that has done the whole meet guys off the internet thing has had bad experiences (and lots of good ones of course!!!). i have had plenty, but that mostly consisted of meeting up with guys who either wernt who they said they were, or were not really after what they had claimed to be after. or the ones where they cancel on u or dont turn up. but i met this one guy online , Mark, who gave me a real bad experience. he lived in another city but we had been chatting online and on the phone for many months, maybe a year. He was kinda my equal, and the one i told everything too, and vice versa, as we were both the same age and at the same stage of the coming out process. we had never met in person but he kinda seemed like my best friend, we spoke every day, taking turns calling each other. In Jan 2003 i happened to be in his city visiting a friend of mine, and told him i was gunna be in town to meet. we had been talking for months about meeting, and we knew each other so well it didnt seem a big deal to me, and he had seemed really keen. but he got really weird when i told him i was there and was free to meet. he changed his mind and said he didnt want to meet anymore (no reason given), then decided he did about 2 hours later. it was never the plan to meet for sex, just to meet as friends, so i still to this day dunno what he got so weird about. so eventually he decided he defintely did want to meet, so i went to his dorm (he lived on a uni campus) and we seemed to get along fine. there wasnt much sexual attraction from my side but i didnt care about that, i just wanted to meet my friend. we had a few beers and then i left, we made plans to meet the next night for a proper get together. so i get back to my friends place after meeting him, check my email, and hes emailed me saying he enjoyed meeting me but doesnt want to meet up again while im in town, but would rather meet in neutral territory , as in neither of our cities. i emailed back saying that was a bit weird, but whatever he thought he was comfortable with, but i was still in town for a couple of days if he changed his mind. i wasnt ready to give up on our friendship cause it had really meant a lot to me over the past year. talking to him and pulled me out of some severe depressions! he then does another mind change and says he does want to meet up the next night. so we meet up at a local bar ,and get wasted. he opens up a bit and we told each other we wernt each others type sexually. after we got this off our chests it seemed we could be happy as just friends, and the convo flowed. anyway that night i slept with him in his bed as i was too drunk to make my way back to my friends place, so he offered me to stay with him and we cuddled in his bed but didnt have sex. it was friendship cuddles and it felt good. we seemed to have finally hit it off in person. i had to leave the next day, and i thought it was all good with us. after i left, i never heard from him for weeks. he stopped using msn (prolly blocked me), didnt answer any calls or texts. i gave up, i wasnt gunna waste any more time on him, i deserved better i thought. he then randomly texted me and said he isnt interested in our long distance friendship any more. no other reason than he cant be bothered. well fuck him, i never contacted him again. i was only ever interested in being his friend, and helping him in his sexuality struggle the way he had helped me. i would be lying if i said it didnt hurt to be treated that way, cause i really cared about him. so whilst this wasnt like the usual bad internet experiences, it was definetly one i have never forgot or really gotten over.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it was the closet. Being closeted can make people do crazy things that make no sense and that they would never do otherwise. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

    Hopefully the story of meeting your current boyfriend is coming sometime in 2003 to make it an eventful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was all to much for him and as a result put it on you.

    I know how it feels to have someone drop shit on you and I still don't talk to the guy here on blogger anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really is true how much impact interactions with people online while dealing with your own sexuality can have and help. I know for a fact there were a handful of people I was in contact with that definitely helped me through it though regardless of how they individually were able to deal with their own sexuality and even if we never did have a friendship in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks 4 the comments guys
    g & p - yes that story is coming this year :)ethan - we r better of without them!
    hb9 - so true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odd. Well - his loss. I've had similar (but shorter) text/email/online "relationships" - where all of the sudden the other person freaks and sends you a strange email for no apparent reason. Then the relationship seems tense for a while. Eventually one of us gives up. You never really find out why.

    Drama - who needs it?

    ReplyDelete